Recovery of British VAT

International Taxes

Recovery of British VAT

What are the conditions for securing a VAT refund in the United Kingdom?

What are the conditions for securing a VAT refund in the United Kingdom?
A company established in a member country of the European Union which has incurred specific taxable expenses in the United Kingdom can recover its VAT as long as the company has not conducted any taxable operations in the country.
VAT is deductible from your business expenses provided you respect the procedure and deadlines governed by the European directive. In this article, you will find the information you need to submit a VAT refund claim in England.
If you are established in a country outside the European Union, you are required to appoint a tax representative. This representative must be subject to VAT, established in the United Kingdom and accredited by the tax authority. Please contact us to obtain further information, or go to the page dedicated to VAT refunds for countries outside the EU.

VAT refund procedures in the United Kingdom

First, you must list expenses which may be refundable depending on your costs.
Below is a summary table of expenses that may be deductible, but please note that this is not an exhaustive list and certain categories may have specific provisos.

Hotel and accommodation YES
Meals YES
Invitation NO
Passenger transport YES
Car Hire YES
Petrol YES
Diesel YES
Conferences and seminars YES
Training YES
Goods transport YES
Stand rental YES

You can also visit our page on the 12 techniques for becoming a VAT refund expert.

Pre-requisites for requesting a refund in the United Kingdom

First, be aware that the request must be submitted by 30th September of year n+1.
The request must be made using an electronic form available at the tax authority website of your country of origin.
Your dossier can be presented quarterly or annually. It is important to comply with minimum thresholds when submitting this request:
400 euros or equivalent in the national currency if the refund period is between three months and one calendar year.
50 euros if the period relates to a calendar year.

 You may also consult the official document of the European Commission for further information on the procedure to follow to file your request with the British tax authority.

What supporting documents are required to request your VAT refund?

Invoices are required for amounts in excess of 750 euros. If the invoice is for diesel costs, you will also be required to present your invoice for any amount of 200 euros and above. You can attach invoices directly to your electronic dossier on the platform (maximum file size is 5 Mb).
Based on experience, ASD advises you to submit a complete and valid claim to ensure a swifter process and avoid inconvenience during the procedure.

What is the VAT refund period in the United Kingdom?

The member State has 4 months to deal with your complete file with effect from the date of receipt of the electronic file. However, if the administration requires additional documents, the period may extend to 8 months.  Once the claim is approved, payment is made within 10 working days. If your claim is rejected, you will be notified of the reason within 8 months of receipt. Be aware also that interest can then be paid in the event of a late refund. It is always possible to appeal against a decision to refuse or partially reject a claim.

However, it is advisable to avoid this type of situation by engaging the services of a tax agent or a tax representative who will be able to provide sound support in the procedure you need to follow. This solution is often used in the case of large amounts of deductible VAT or when the categories of expenditure require in-depth analysis.

ASD is a tax firm specialising in the recovery of VAT. For further information on our services please visit our dedicated page or contact us via our contact form. We shall be delighted to assist you with your procedures and handle your refund requests. Be aware that we can recover your VAT, not only in the United Kingdom but also in the 27 other member States of the European Union.

Share on social networks

Further information on our VAT recovery service

ASD Group can assist you with these procedures to facilitate the refund process and ensure compliance with the procedures as defined by the European directive. For further information, please contact us.

Find out more about the author of the article

ASD Group

ASD Group


Find all our news on VAT and customs, decrypted by our experts

ASD Group opens the doors to the world ASD Group News

ASD Group opens the doors to the world

This month, Select Antipolis magazine dedicated 8 pages to ASD Group.  Didier Delangue shares the history of the development of ASD Group. From the creation of ASD Group to its(...)

Read more
VAT registration changes in Switzerland International Taxes

VAT registration changes in Switzerland

Until now, a foreign company had the obligation to register for VAT in Switzerland, as soon as its taxable transactions in Switzerland reached 100 000 CHF (approximately 85 000€). From(...)

Read more
The dangers of the VAT fraud International Taxes

The dangers of the VAT fraud

Taxation remains a complex subject within the European Union. According to a study by the European Commission, The European Union member countries lost 151,5 billion euros in 2015, from which(...)

Read more
Update on the flat rate contribution of SIPSI Posting of Workers

Update on the flat rate contribution of SIPSI

Legislation concerning secondment declarations will change in the coming days. Zoom on future changes. WHAT IS THE DETACHMENT DECLARATION (SIPSI)? A foreign company wishing to second(...)

Read more
Strasbourg and its Eurometropolis adopt the Crit'Air sticker from 1st of November 2017 Posting of Workers

Strasbourg and its Eurometropolis adopt the Crit'Air sticker from 1st of November 2017

The affixing of the vignette Crit'Air on the windshield becomes more and more common in France. After Paris, Grenoble, Lyon and Lille, it is Strasbourg and its 33 surrounding municipalities(...)

Read more
This is the list of non-EU countries that do not have to appoint a tax representative International Taxes

This is the list of non-EU countries that do not have to appoint a tax representative

According to the article 289 A of the French General Tax Code, a foreign company that carries out transactions subjected to VAT in France must, in several cases, appoint a tax(...)

Read more
The posted worker turn-around in Europe Posting of Workers

The posted worker turn-around in Europe

After 12 hours of discussions, European Union’s Labour Ministers finally agreed upon the posted workers' reform. REDUCTION of the maximal posting duration European countries(...)

Read more
How to know if I have to file a DEB? Customs Obligations

How to know if I have to file a DEB?

Although companies can make commercial operations within the European Union freely and without a control on the borders, depending on your activity and the amount of trade you might have an(...)

Read more
European taxation of GAFA International Taxes

European taxation of GAFA

a huge subject since some months, the debate on a European taxation of digital multinationals, the « GAFA » (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple) aka « equality(...)

Read more
Our experts are at your disposal to answer your questions. Benefit from a free consultation!
Ask us for advice