Intrastat thresholds 2024  Learn more  |  United Kingdom: End of the transition period for EU exporters Learn more
Close this search box.

Working in Canada: the options of immigration

Reading time: 2 minutes

You are curious about the procedures to expatriate and work in Canada? Focus on the various options of immigration available to you.

Taking advantage of the free-trade agreements

Some countries have concluded free-trade agreements with Canada, such as the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between the European Union and Canada. These agreements enable professionals to access Canadian working permits more easily.

Are you a good candidate?

In order to benefit from these agreements, you must:

– originate from a country that has concluded a free-trade agreement with Canada;
– be eligible for one of the positions set out by the free-trade agreement between your country of origin and Canada;
– have received a job offer from a Canadian business.

Going through the “Express Entry”

Express Entry” is a system that manages all the economic immigration programs set up by the federal Canadian government.

This system encompasses the various programs concerning skilled workers (federal), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP). There are also a few province-affiliated programs (PNP – Province Nominee Province) aligned with Express Entry.

The candidates who wish to apply via Express Entry, need first to find out if they are eligible for Express Entry and then must submit an expression of interest (in a letter) addressed to the Canadian government. If you fulfill the basic requirements of eligibility of the program concerned, you will be added to the Express Entry waiting list.

This is when you will be given a score (CRS – Comprehensive Ranking System) that will give you your ranking compared to the other candidates. From time to time, the IRCC (Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada) sends the best performing candidates an Invitation To Apply (ITA) for permanent residency in Canada. These people then have 90 days to submit their application online.

Are you the right candidate?

As mentioned earlier, Express Entry currently manages the Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) Program, the Federal Specialized Trades Program (FSTP) and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Each of these programs have their own criteria of eligibility.

In a nutshell, the Federal Skilled Workers Program was specially thought up for immigrants who have at least one year of skilled work experience, full time and continuous. If you score the minimal requirement of 67 points, you can be eligible for Express Entry.

In the case of the Federal Specialized Trades Program, you will need a work experience in a skilled trade of at least 2 years, full time and continuous, over the past 5 years.

The Canadian Experience Class works on a success/failure basis and is aimed at people who have a work experience of at least one year full time and continuous in Canada.

Before submitting your profile, you will need to find out if you are eligible to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry.

How can ASD Group assist you?

Experts in the posting of workers, ASD Group and its partners can assist in the set-up and the management of the various formalities bound to the immigration of talents in Canada. We offer a wide range of services, from the management of national and international administrative procedures to the coordination of your move and even more. Contact us, we will be happy to answer your questions and assist with your installation in Canada.

This article is intended for informational use only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advice. For specific advice applicable to your business, please contact us.

ASD Group, your preferred expert contact in international development, VAT and international taxes, customs operations, social regulations and business strategy.

ASD Group works for you using the latest software technologies available and the advanced skills of our teams. Contact us for more information!

you might be interested in these articles

Tax representation

What is tax representation in Portugal?

Tax representation in Portugal refers to the obligation for certain foreign entities to appoint a local tax representative for its VAT obligations. This generally applies…

contact our experts

Do you want to find out more about our offers?
Contact us and our expert will answer you as soon as possible.
Mini contact
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.